International Summer Course for Composers, SYNTHETIS 2018
§1 Course Information
- The International Summer Course for Composers SYNTHETIS 2018 will be held from July 29 through August 10, 2018.
- The International Summer Course for Composers SYNTHETIS 2018 is a fee-based programme where admitted participants attend workshops, lectures and individual lessons conducted in English, as well as concerts, presentations and other events included in the schedule.
- The event is organized by the Music Gardens Foundation and is directed by Zygmunt Krauze.
- Each participant is guaranteed at least three hours a day of collective activities and the possibility of having individual meetings with all lecturers.
- Apart from the lecturers-composers, the organizers invite artists-in-residence who will be present during entire length of the course. The participants will have an opportunity to attend individual lessons with the artists, during which newly-written pieces might be discussed. The artists will perform selected compositions written by participants at the course’s final concert. The concert will be recorded and each participant (whose work will be performed) will be provided with a recording of her/his composition. The fragments of the participants’ compositions written during course’s previous editions are available at the Recordings tab.
- In 2018, there will be at least 2 artists-in-residence present during the course – a cellist and a trombonist. It is advisable to prepare the draft of a composition before the course (a solo piece for cello/trombone or a duo).
- The organizer reserves the right to make changes to the event programme.
§2 Selection of Participants
- In order to qualify for the course, all applicants should hold at least a Bachelor of Music degree (or its equivalent) in composition or be awarded in any international composition competition (no age limit).
- Candidates interested in participating are required to submit a completed application form available at the official website, a Curriculum Vitae (which includes a list of the candidate’s major compositions) and a score representative of the applicant’s compositions (in an electronic version).
- Application forms sent in hard copy will not be considered.
- The deadline for sending applications is May 31, 2018. The list of admitted participants will be annonced no later than June 6, 2018.
- The application might be evaluated before the deadline only in special circumastances (on request).
- The maximum number of participants in the course is 30.
- Personal information submitted by applicants in the registration process will remain private. The organizer declares that no personal information concerning an applicant will be disclosed to any third party.
- Participation in the course is fee-based (950 EUR), however the fees of Polish participants are co-financed by the Ministry of Culture and National Heritage of the Republic of Poland
a) fee for foreign participants – 950 EUR:
- 600 EUR – to be paid by bank transfer before the course
- 350 EUR – cost of accommodation and board to be paid by cash (Polish currency only, ie. 1 470 PLN) or credit card upon arrival in Radziejowice Palace
b) fee for Polish participants – 1 950 PLN:
- 480 PLN – to be paid by bank transfer before the course
- 1 470 PLN – cost of accommodation and board to be paid by cash/credit card upon arrival in Radziejowice Palace
Note: Radziejowice Palace is the only accommodation option. Course participants receive a special price offer.
- The fee includes entry to lectures, workshops, concerts and other events organized during the course, accommodation in rooms for 2 or 3 persons and three meals a day.
- If a participant fails to send payment by bank transfer in designated time, the organizer reserves the right to select another applicant to fill her/his place.
- In case of cancellation, the organizer will return 50% of the course fee.
The International Summer Course for Composers SYNTHETIS 2018 is organized by the Music Gardens Foundation based in Warsaw: 4/77 Wilsona Sq., 01-626 Warsaw, and registered in Poland (company registration number: 0000099471, Tax ID: 525-22-31-434).